Saturday, April 23, 2011

tour guide mandachan: ithaca

Or if you're into the Odyssey, feel free to spell it with a K instead. But I went to the New York one, not the Greece one.

Which means a 6-hour ride there and a 6-hour ride back. Now that we've done it twice, it's really not that difficult to get to, just long and in the middle of freaking nowhere. But while you're there, it's neat. What I liked about the campus is that even though you're in the middle of nowhere, you can see downtown and surrounding towns from it so it doesn't feel like you're in the middle of nowhere. Walking around kinda sucks, though, 'cause the city's one big ginormous hill. Thank goodness for the TCAT buses.

The general tour didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know from before, but it was nice to go through and look at everything again. Plus I found out that the new athletic center they're finishing in June will have indoor batting cages, which is awesome. And they have a waffle station in their dining hall (well, one of them at least), which must be an Ithaca thing since our hotel had a make-your-own-waffle thing as part of our continental breakfast, and there was a place in their pedestrian mall that made pretty much everything with waffles. But hey, it's waffles, so who's complaining?

Honestly, I'll probably just spend most of my time either walking around (working off that freshman 15) the city or on campus, since I'll have so much to do in terms of clubs and whatnot, plus that obligatory academic stuff... :)

2 comments:

Laura said...

So. I've decided that since you're going to Ithaca and your boyfriend will be far far away, your new nickname is going to be Penelope. :D Enjoy.

mandachan said...

"stop pronouncing my name like it rhymes with 'antelope!' i am not an ungulate!"