Tuesday, March 1, 2011

psych-out

First, I ended up saying what I needed to in yesterday's post so that's basically the extent of my rant about conservative legislation for right now.

I had my blood donation appointment first thing in the morning, so I figured I'd be back in class around 8:30 and would still have time to get stuff done. Not. They were still setting up when I got there for my appointment at 8, didn't take me in 'til almost 8:30 for the information bit, didn't actually start the donation 'til about quarter of. So I should've been done around 9, fine, whatever.

Psych. I was fine all through the actual donation process, didn't get grossed out by the blood (I'm not squeamish around blood as long it's me or not from a distinguishable body part), but while they were processing the information and packaging the pint, I started to feel a little lightheaded. Reasonable, since I was missing 1/9 of my blood supply. And then my hearing started to go fuzzy and I thought, "Oh, no, don't pass out." The nurses brought me over some cold, wet towels for my forehead and neck, and I just kinda blobbed there, staring at the ceiling, waiting for it to stop.

Then the little information handheld thing they had decided to go wonky and temperamentally delete my information, yet somehow it was still in there, which I didn't really understand but hey, it gave me a few more minutes to regroup.

Except then they wouldn't let me get up on my own, even though the lightheadedness had passed and my hearing was back to normal. So I had to chill there for even longer until they let me sit up and walk over to the snacks. I camped out there for about 10-15 minutes and then decided that since I had missed almost all of journalism, all of homeroom and a good half-hour of study hall that I should get back.

I went back to journalism to get my stuff, and magically half my stuff had gone missing, including my journalism binder (which wasn't really that important but still, that's my class stuff), my pencil box and my sweatshirt. And it's kinda hard to do homework in a freezing-cold cafeteria without a writing utensil or a sweatshirt.

Luckily I was able to find a pen in my bag, and my friend Justin let me borrow his sweatshirt for the remainder of study hall. I went back after the block to get my stuff (it magically reappeared), and the only problem the rest of the day was the tape keeping the bandaid/gauze on my arm 'cause it was preventing me from bending and straightening my arm properly, plus it was pulling on the little hairs on my arm which kinda hurt.

It gets me out of conditioning for the day since I'm not s'posed to do anything strenuous for 12 hours. Even if they hadn't suggested it, after my episode this morning, I wouldn't want to chance it anyway. It's a shame, though, it's really nice out (for the beginning of March) and it'd be nice to be able to throw some.

No comments: