Monday, March 7, 2011

and now...

...for the post I promised you on... Saturday? Sunday? I can't remember.

Anyway. Various rule-based nonsense. Here goes.

As much as I disagree with the BYU basketball player getting kicked off the team for breaking the chastity rule, I'm not going to fight it, because even though I personally don't agree with it, it's still personal choice and I'm not going to argue that, and it's a school-wide policy (well, the school is rooted in the religion, so that should've been a no-brainer). But Huckabee's recent stunt with bashing Natalie Portman over the same thing is a little ridiculous. First of all, it's pulling religion into politics, not cool. Second, his main argument, the one that single mothers would essentially starve to death were it not for government programs, is definitely not the right card to pull in this instance because Baby Portman will clearly be well cared for (um, hello, look at how much money The Black Swan pulled in, you can't tell me they're not living well right now). Third, it doesn't matter a parent's marital status, as long as they are happy with their situation and can physically, emotionally and financially care for the kid, then that's all that matters.

There's also a plan being concocted in Congress over the '96 ban on gay marriage, somehow quite a few Republicans think it's still constitutional. I'm not even sure how it was constitutional in the first place. I don't imagine this one getting very far, the Supreme Court has a lot to do and it's kinda obvious that the law is unconstitutional.

The last thing was actually something that kinda tore me in terms of what side to go with. The Westboro Baptist Church protesters (the ones that go to the military funerals and tell everyone they're going to burn in Hell because they're accepting of homosexuals) won their Supreme Court case on the basis of the First Amendment. Duh. But as much as I'm for freedom of speech and religion, that takes things just a little too far. Personally, I think it goes under the lines of forcing your religion on someone else, which I'm pretty sure isn't allowed, and it might also fall under the whole right to privacy thing, since they prevented the family members of those killed overseas from having a last peaceful moment with their loved one. And it's just downright disrespectful.

No comments: