Friday, February 4, 2011

ends of the spectrum

Two interesting articles I found today.

I'll start with the one I majorly disagree with. A Catholic publishing group in Great Britain came up with a pamphlet on trying to convert Wiccans. Their main argument? Spellcraft not only creates psychological problems (oh, because Christianity doesn't do that at all, ever), it's apparently a slap in the face to God. The people that wrote it claim that "The use of magic, the practice of witchcraft, offends God because it is rooted in our sinful and fallen nature. It attempts to usurp God." I understand that humanity isn't exactly the most behaved society, but it bothers me that religions automatically assume that everyone sucks.

The second one is something I agree with. There's a male rights activist group bent on boycotting Valentine's Day on the basis that it's sexist. Not only are guys are expected to blow all this money on their girls, they'll get shunned if they don't, plus they don't get anything in return. There's no rule saying that you HAVE to buy stuff for your significant other on Valentine's Day upon threat of getting rejected; like my aunt said, what's the harm in a bouquet of dandelions in August? Presents aren't required, nor are they required ON some superficial, arbitrary day. I'm not a guy, but I practically boycott this anyway, so I'm totally game for it.

No comments: