Tuesday, January 18, 2011

science versus art

I've come to the conclusion that I can bake but not cook because baking is a science and cooking is an art. The only way to screw up baking is to not read the recipe properly, in which case it's your fault, but it is so easy to screw up cooking, as I have found out.

I can also apply this to math. Sure, I can make my way through it, but it's not fun for me. I don't see math as an art (a point of contention between me and the EGE, among other things), which might be why I don't enjoy it. I like doing my baseball/softball stats (the basic ones that I can do on Excel), and the part of Chapter 6 dealing with exponential growth/decay/Newton's law of cooling/compound interest, because all of it has a practical use.

The way I see it, science is where you're either right or wrong, whether that takes a lot of thought and work or is something completely obvious. Art, though, has no defined right or wrong, therefore by default, everything I do in it might as well be wrong. Kinda like English class.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy art. I was in art club in middle school, and I even designed the back of a t-shirt for a community event. But I'm not any good at art, which in turn kinda makes it not always fun.

Something I'll have to work at, I guess

No comments: