Sunday, January 30, 2011

joining the ranks

As dorky as it sounds, I kinda feel special to know that a new country was formed during my knowledgeable lifetime. Over 99% of Southern Sudanese voters voted for sovereignty, and the territory will declare its independence from the rest of Sudan in July.

The past year or so, I've been kinda fascinated by sovereignty and all the little areas around the world like Abkhasia and South Ossetia and Kosovo and such. I'm not sure why, maybe it's the uniqueness of being a quasi-country or whatever, maybe it's the whole culture thing, maybe it's just because I'm weird and like learning about countries. But I think stuff like this is pretty cool.


On an unrelated note, I apologize for the short nothing-posts lately, but I haven't had much to say. New semester starts tomorrow, but the only thing that'll really change is the fact that I have English and study hall instead of gov, public speaking and drama, since I still have journalism, band and calc.

No comments: