Saturday, September 25, 2010

4 out of 5

Just need to go visit BU, then I'm done with college visits. I know, I should've done this already, but I was working all summer, dangit.

Anyway. We made the trek to Quinnipiac today, though it wasn't that much of a trek, it was only a little over an hour. At first I wasn't too keen on it (no idea why), but the campus tour made things better, and I really liked the facilities they had. And then I started flipping through the coursebook.

Yes, the coursebook was the kicker for me. Why? Because they have an entire class dedicated to sabermetrics.

For those of you not in the know, sabermetrics (or SABRmetrics, which is the real term) is just a fancy word for baseball stats. Cue the Hallelujah chorus.

Luckily, the journalism program at Quinnipiac requires students to have a minor outside the School of Communications, and many people wind up doing their minor in Sport Studies, so I could very well do that minor and take that class and be awesome and stuff. I really liked the minor, as opposed to other sport studies minors I'd seen, because it was more geared towards sport communication and stats and all that cool stuff rather than history and crap. Though they did have a class on the history/impact of baseball on society, which was basically what I wrote my thesis paper on last year.

Overall, definitely going on my 1st tier of schools (since I can't bring myself to rank the schools I've visited, I've made two tiers of program awesomeness).

No comments: