Monday, April 19, 2010

the tale of the mandachan trip-le

We won 21-5, hooray woohoo alright! I have a funny story to tell.

So we scored about half of our runs in the first inning of the game. I got up to bat twice in the inning. I batted 6th in the lineup today. Needless to say the other team's pitcher was having a rough outing. Also, their infield is all grass, except for directly around the bases and the pitcher's mound. This might not seem like it's relevant but trust me, it is.

Anyway. In my first at-bat, I came to the plate with the bases loaded and 1 out. I was looking for a sacrifice. My stepdad has been helping me to hit with a little more umph, so I did what he had told me to do. I just crushed the ball. Straight-shot, down the left field line, way over the left fielder's head. Easily a triple or a home run. 1, 2, 3 runs score.

What do I do? I take a weird step somewhere in the grass between first and second, reach the dirt patch where the 2nd baseman plays and fall flat on my face. I get up and half-jog to 2nd, settling for a standing double. Good grief was it embarrassing. Varsity even saw me fall. But hey, I brought the runs in, I made it on base, I eventually scored when our pitcher doubled me in, life is good. Then our bench coach came up to me afterwards and was all like "Hey, how 'bout that in-the-park trip-le?"

Moral of the story: if you're going to run on grass, like this infield was (stupid, but whatever), please be careful of your footing. But if you're gonna go down, at least make it look good :)

In whole, I went 4 for 4 today with the lovely "mandachan trip-le" and 3 singles and a few runs and maybe a stolen base or two, I'd have to check the book.

No comments: