Saturday, April 24, 2010

i have lucky socks

I would say that I have lucky Royals socks since I think we've won every game when I've worn them, but I'm not positive, and we've gotten a win out of my Red Sox socks too.

Good lord was today's game a nailbiter. In our coach's 7 years, we have never beat this team. And it showed in the first two innings, when their pitcher faced 6 of our batters and struck out 5 of them, 3 looking. Then they made some substitutions, our girls started getting around on the ball better, yadda yadda yadda. We also did a minor Chinese fire drill with our positions, but that's 'cause our shortstop twisted her knee running after a grounder and had to be carried off the field and brought to the nearest urgent care place.

To make a long story short, we had to go into extra innings 'cause we were tied at 7, and with one out in the bottom of the 8th, our pitcher, who had already pitched the entire game, came through with an amazing clutch double that brought in the tiebreaking runs. We won 9-7 and we practically tackled our pitcher when she came off the field.

Game ball would be split between our pitcher for being beast and pitching 8 innings and having that game-winning double, and our shortstop for being a trooper after she had already gotten beaned in her bad elbow with a pitch.

Aaand I didn't play. Which kinda sucks. But hey, we won.

2 comments:

Entle said...

Hey, I totally would have stopped and said hi - only problem, I said to myself, "Nah, she's had two or three games in the last few days, this one MUST be varsity."

So yeah, I was one of the runners periodically passing by your field for warmups and cooldowns =) The team looked pretty good, and "hi" in retrospect!

mandachan said...

yeah, i saw the track meet and wondered if you were there. so "hi" in retrospect to you too! :)