Wednesday, April 28, 2010

a few things i feel bad about

I never really thought about this 'til last night, but when I go up to bat, I cover up and fill in everyone else's dirt hole. The little indent that they probably worked for at least a few seconds to create so they can bat. And I undo all that work. I kinda feel guilty for doing it, but I know that if I don't fill that hole in, I'll convince myself that I'll fall into that hole and break my ankle off.

Another thing is how OCD I am about the scorebook. Since I sucked last year, I was essentially the manager for JV and got pretty attached to the book. I knew most of the markings, and for the ones I didn't know, I marked it in a way that it'd be obvious what I meant (like marking DK for a dropped third strike). Now that I'm playing more this year, the other backup players are taking over for the book, which is nice 'cause I know someone is keeping track. But it's driving me nuts because the book isn't getting done the way I want it to.
When it's all said and done, we really only need to know what the score is, but it's basic stuff that they don't do that bothers me. Like not circling the little 1 up in the corner when a girl hits a single, for example. If I don't see that little 1 circled, I don't know how that girl got on. And if I'm running stats for the team (which I am), I kinda need to know whether a girl got on because of a walk, a hit-by-pitch, a fielder's choice, a dropped third strike, a single, an error or some other 7th thing.

The last thing I sortof feel bad about but not entirely is that I'm technically a backup for JV but I have a better batting average than anyone else. I don't really want to draw attention to it, but it's kinda true. I play because I hit well (relatively speaking), but I suck at fielding, and there are girls on the team that are much better fielders but aren't playing 'cause I just happen to be halfway decent at making contact between a ball and a metal stick.

(In case you haven't noticed, I'm easily guilted into things)

No comments: