Wednesday, March 10, 2010

maturity is overrated

Yesterday was so much fun!

First off: roster. Laura hosted the hooflah, and the attendees were me, Eliz (she plays softball with me), the EGE and Tang (that's obviously his last name but we had to differentiate between the two Davids).

We only ended up watching the first episode, but it was a double-episode so it was about an hour and a half, and I caught some of the things my friends reference, so that's good. Laura was right, it definitely has a "space western" feel to it.

Then we got bored and went outside to play wiffleball, but the backyard was all muddy behind where "home plate" (which was a piece of cardboard) was, so it took forever for us to return the pitch. It was also kinda hard to play an 18-person game with 5 people... but we managed, and I had a really nice line-drive hit straight past second base.

Then I noticed that there was a playground kinda diagonally across from Laura's backyard, so I was all like "Ooh! Ooh! Let's go to the playground!" 'Cause you know, I'm 5. But luckily everyone else wanted to go too 'cause wiffleball was getting a bit boring. One of the highlights of the day was that we started walking to the playground (the long way since I didn't want to get yelled at for cutting through peoples' yards), and I didn't really feel like walking that far (which really wasn't that far) so I took a running start, leaped onto the EGE and made him carry me most of the way there. I was quite impressed that I didn't knock him over, as I weigh a good 10 pounds more than he does.

We went on the swings, and then the two Davids found sticks branches that had fallen out of a nearby tree and, as any boys would've done, started swordfighting with them. I mostly stayed out of the way so I wouldn't get hit, but at one point I felt compelled to tackle one of them and instead I slipped in the mud and fell. I only really fell on my butt, so it didn't hurt that much, but it was an instant sogification, and I put my arms up, which I thought was the international sign of "I fell, someone please help me up." 'Cause wet pants aren't fun and I didn't feel like getting any of my other clothes wet to get myself up, and after all, the guys were standing right there.

I'm not sure if they even looked at me. They just kept babbling on about getting someone's camera for the epic duel about to ensue. Eventually I was like "Screw the camera, someone help me up!" and only when Laura came to my rescue did someone even acknowledge that I had been lying on the ground for a good minute. I climbed up on the playscape, and because it was a nice, sunny day, I flipped over on my stomach in an attempt to dry out my derrière while the boys fought.

Eventually the playground lost its luster, and since all of us had endured some form of injury (the Davids had whacked the living daylights out of each others' knuckles with the tree branches, Laura got hit with a stray stick, Laurel got her hand pinched in the swings and of course I had my wet butt), we went back to Laura's house for a lovely game of Apples to Apples.

Now, I can't think of a better group to play Apples to Apples with. You kinda need a group of good-humored people, preferably those who won't protest when, say, someone puts down Hitler for the "sappy" adjective card (which happened). It just has to be silly. I mean, I won "colorful" with plane crashes, and I'm sure that if I had put down Europe for "American," I would've won just because of the ridiculosity of it (ironically enough, we had pulled the "European" card earlier in the game and I was like "Grr! Why couldn't've I had the Europe card then?!")

There was a pigpile on the couch at one point, which kinda sucked since I was on the bottom, but I was cold anyway so it wasn't too bad. I had to leave around 4:20 'cause I had to get up to the high school for conditioning, so that kinda stunk (mostly 'cause I didn't really want to go to conditioning), but other than that, it was a lot of fun, and we have to get together again sometime for more Firefly and more silliness. Thanks, guys! :)

No comments: