Sunday, March 7, 2010

it never fails

Alex just can't get a break, can he? He gets thrown into the majors in '07 with everyone calling him the second coming of George Brett, and he doesn't live up quite to expectations. '08 went well til he screwed up his hip the day before my birthday and spent the end of August and the first half of September on the DL. The first game of '09 has him tearing his labrum and going into surgery a week later, missing half the season, getting demoted to Omaha when he comes back and finally seeing the light of day towards the middle of September. You would think that the baseball gods would give him a break in 2010, right?

Noooo. Of course not. They've just started official Spring Training games and Alex shatters the tip of his right thumb sliding headfirst on a steal attempt at second. Which means he'll be out 3-4 weeks. Which means no more Spring Training for him, and because he can't throw or bat with the busted thumb, no one knows when he'll be back. And of course the first Red Sox/Royals series is the first weekend of the season.

I was reading the article (which Ellie sent to me through Facebook, so thanks to her for showing me that) and it was kinda sad how Alex was all bummed out 'cause he can't really do anything anymore, and he even stayed in the game because he didn't want to look weak by sitting out. Quote from the MLB.com article: "I didn't want to be hurt," he said, tearfully. "I didn't want them to know the truth, I guess." :'(

At this point, I feel really bad for him, but it's like "same crap, different year." The baseball gods just don't like Alex. They don't like me, either, but they really don't like Alex. All I'll say is that I can't help but admire Alex for all the injury crap he's been through and how he's kept his head up through it all. Hang in there, dude. It'll all come out in the wash.

2 comments:

Ellie said...

Alex can't catch a break. Jose Reyes can't catch a break. They both want to play so badly and now Alex's thumb won't let him and Jose has a thyroid issue. Jose's injury has nothing to do with baseball.

This season is disappointing already.

mandachan said...

i know. i'm mad.