Tuesday, February 2, 2010

this is a rant post

So, if you're not a fan of my time-to-time complainotron sessions, you might as well leave now.

...Ok, if you haven't already left, I'm going to start my rant now.

About this whole softball conditioning thing. It's great, don't get me wrong. I'm so glad the coaches sponsor this because I know that I wouldn't've made the team last year if I hadn't done it (since my committal was the only thing that saved my derrière last season), and I also know that I'm not the only bum who benefits from it. What I don't like is that regardless of me showing up 4 days a week, I'm still sore after the plyo days, even though my asthma prevents me from going all the way through the drills. Exercise-induced asthma is the devil's spawn.

Another thing that bothers me is that conditioning, in it's nature of being aerobic and sweat-inducing and whatnot, is s'posed to lose weight. That's also good for me, 'cause even though I'm not necessarily overweight, having extremely skinny friends does a number to my existing lack of self-esteem, so the 5 or 10 pounds usually gives the illusion that I'm in shape and makes me feel like I've accomplished something in my suffering.
Unfortunately, the weightlifting we started this year undoes all that work. Yeah, the added weight is muscle, and muscle is a lot more compact than... shall we say, the "mush" it's replacing, but the whole weight gain mess was one of those "Things I Need to Know" for 100 deals. And weightlifting is easier than the other conditioning stuff for me, so I'm essentially screwing my conscience over by doing this. I'm honestly not sure, but I kinda really don't like it.

At this point, my options are to 1) stop the softball process and give up entirely (which isn't an option, since I want to play and I need something on my letterman jacket), 2) to do more of the conditioning bit and eat less to get back to where I want to be scale-wise (and my asthma doesn't accommodate for the exercise part) or 3) suck it up. I think #3 is the least of 3 evils.

And that is the end of my rant. Carry on.

No comments: