Tuesday, February 16, 2010

oh right

I knew I had something else to post about. The Daytona 500 was on Sunday.

I know, I know. "They're making another left turn! They're making another left turn! Come back in 2 hours, you won't miss a thing!" But there were a few interesting things this year.

First of all, everyone was all hyped up 'cause Danica Patrick was s'posed to race. I was actually looking forward to it too. I mean, kudos to her for breaking the gender barrier. Unfortunately, she broke her car in the doing so on Saturday and didn't even get to race on Sunday, so that kinda sucks. Better luck next year, Danica.

Second, what was with that ginormous pothole? They don't just POOF! out of nowhere. It had to have been there before. Yet they just happened to notice it and make an issue out of it during the race. At least rain delays have the possibility of people going tarp sliding -- oh wait, that's only baseball (darn)

Third, I don't think the racing gods like me either (in addition to the softball/baseball gods). I've been half paying attention to the Daytona 500 for the past 3 years, and the people I know always get the short end of the stick. 2 years ago, I was watching it with my grandparents and rooting for Mark Martin with them, and then he loses by 2-hundredths of a second. Last year, I was rooting for Kasey Kahne and Joey Logano, and poor Joey crashes in the 81st lap. This year, I'm rooting for them again and not only does Kasey crash towards the end, complete with a mini-fire under his car, Joey does too.

And finally, what happened with those last two laps? I swear, that was worse than the Connecticut Sun/New York Liberty game I went to where the score was really close and they took like a bajillion timeouts and purposely fouled each other to make the game go longer (turns out they went into OT so it was kinda a waste, but you get my drift). Yeah, cautions happen, fine, whatever, but this was like driving fine, someone bumps someone else, caution. green flag, someone crashes into the wall, caution. And then after the cautions, that Jamie McMurray guy came out of legit nowhere to win it. I walked away from the TV for like 10 seconds with a few people I know in the lead, and I come back and see him win it.

I apologize for the lack of pictures, I couldn't find any good ones.

No comments: