Saturday, November 28, 2009

random stories

I was s'posed to be working on my AP bio essay questions for the test on Thursday (which I'm s'posed to be doing now), and then I got a bit sidetracked with my laptop and started reading some of my old stories. I'm notorious for starting stories, getting like 12 or 13 chapters done and then hitting the ever-popular "writer's block"... ha, more like "writer's brick wall". So then I leave them there for a month or two or a year and then I go back and laugh at them. Sometimes the scenes are funny, sometime the horribleness of my writing is funny. But it's always fun to go digging for those old gems.

The one I'm writing now is about these two friends who go to intern for a minor-league baseball team in the middle of nowhere in the Great Plains and then they find out it's a co-ed team. I honestly don't know where my plot is going but I can tell you I am having a lot of fun with character descriptions. Naming everyone and deciding what they look like and what kind of person they are is always the best part.

It's bad, but I always have a general type of character that shows up: I always base the main character off a better version of myself, her best friend is always based off either my idea of a perfect guy or one of my good guy friends (sometimes a combination of both), and then the rest are off people I know. A few baseball players make cameos in this one. There's always recurring plot chunks in my stories too, like how the main character has a really scary dream and wakes up screaming (dream sequences are way too much fun to write), and how she always gets into a fistfight with her best guy friend (those are also fun), and so on and so forth.

If anyone was interested in reading the jumble of words that I like to call a story, feel free to drop me a line. My email is in my profile. Or you can comment with your email address and I'll email it to you.

No comments: